2 weeks (Friday, February 27)
Draw or paint a large self-portrait from the waist up, using the medium of your choice. Include at least one of your hands. Integrate the figure into an environment for a strong figure-ground relationship.
- Improve skills with composition
- Improve observational accuracy
- Establish form via chiaroscuro
- Improve your ability to create a rich range of tonal value (and color?)
- Substrate (paper, board, or canvas) at least 24 x 36”
- Choice of drawing or painting materials
- Must include your head, neck, shoulders, at least one arm and one hand.
- Must include an environment
- Strength of Composition
- Figure Ground Relationship
- Accuracy of Proportion
- Establishment of Structure - Planes of Face and Figure
- Establishment of Form -- Three Dimensionality
- Nuances of Value (and color?)
- Technical Quality
See the Galleries page of this website for examples of portraits by both masters such as Abrecht Durer, Max Beckmann, Lucien Freud, and Kehinde Wiley, as well as by high school students.