A large scale charcoal drawing of a single, everyday object.
- Proportion! Proportion! Proportion!
- Use a full range of tonal value to establish structure and form
- Imbue an everyday object with importance.
- Large craft paper
- Willow charcoal
- Compressed charcoal
- (Eventually) Chalk
View the works of these contemporary artists:
- Accuracy of proportion
- Accuracy of line
- Accuracy of tonal value:
- Full range of tonal value from white to deep black, and full, varied range of grays;
- Rendered subtle transitions and nuances; carefully drawn tonal shifts/gradations
- Form / Three-Dimensionality - every part of the object should have light, middle, and dark sides
- Design of the page (Composition): Filling the page; working on the area around the object to make it look like part of the drawing
- Personal Investment: Challenging yourself in your choice of object; staying focused on your drawing,