PROGRESS DUE: Thursday, October 3 (At least 50% complete.)
FINAL DUE: Monday, October 7
Create a cover design for your sketchbook that has the following.:
- Your name must be somewhere in the design
- A variety of media (mixed media)
- Optional: a quote
- Optional: zentangles (or "zen doodles")
- Optional: more words, phrase
This will likely be somewhat three-dimensional, having layers.
- Create strong visual impact - Activate and organize a picture plane
- Mix media
- Incorporate found objects
- Invent, experiment, explore - Be as creative as possible
- Create real and implied textures
- Make a personal visual statement
1. Google "altered books"
Wrap your sketchbook cover with drawing paper,
and tape well on the back of the front cover.
Build your design on chipboard (thin cardboard),
and glue (or wire, or thread) the board onto your sketchbook cover.
3. Collect a variety of materials, both 2D art materials and 3D materials.
4. Draft your design(s) in rough draft form
5. To appreciate the possibilities of zentangles,
- Google zentangles.
- Look for tutorials on YouTube and elsewhere on how to make zentangles.
- Try out your own methods of drawing zentangles.
- Once you're comfortable with the process,
design your cover to include your name and zentangles.
General Art Rubric
Studio Habits of Mind Rubric
- Personal Investment is clearly evident
- Use of entire picture plane
- Interesting lettering
- Name is easy to read (It does not have to be large.)
- Good contrast
- Unified color scheme
- Craft / Technical Quality
- Experimental use of multiple materials
- Creation of textures and interesting visual effects
- A "finished" look - good presentation