Wednesday, March 1, 2017
Type a list of ten (10) great ideas for a personal concentration. A concentration, also called a "Sustained Investigation", is a series of artworks that focus on the exploration and development of a single idea or theme, and/or on the development of technical skills in a particular medium or combination of media or of particular design concerns. Your concentration should be something that would excite you to be able to do for a considerable period of time. You will be creating AT LEAST 8 pieces in this series, and more depending on the concentration.
Examples of what concentrations might look like can be found here:
Click on the year in the upper left of the screen, then on the 2D Design, 3D Design, or Drawing; then click on student examples for the Sustained Investigation section of the AP portfolio.
TYPE your list (It will not be accepted if it isn't typed.), and include a scrapbook page of inspirational art for each idea (1 or 2 inspirational photos for each idea). Note that you are listing different ideas for ten different series, not ten ideas for the images in a single series. Here's what you're list might look like (There are sixteen series listed here; you are only responsible for writing ten.):
My Concentration Ideas
1. Eight portraits of everyone in the class. I will try to use as many different media as I can, experiment with mark-making, and capture their personalities through style.
2. Eight scenes of music affecting people (from reference and imagination), and musical instruments with dynamic angles (from life).
3. Eight oil pastel portraits of my friends, based on distorted photos I take using my iPad and iPad filters. I am concerned with exaggeration and distortion.
4. Eight paintings illustrating Loss. Trying to give a sense the different ways people may experience loss. Loss of friendship, of loved ones, etc. Trying to capture the feeling itself through facial expression, body language, style, color, etc.
5. Eight picture book spreads illustrating one of Aesop's fables, but placed in the modern day with modern dress and a city environment. I will focus on figure-figure relationships, figure-ground relationships, composition and clear visual narrative (storytelling with pictures).
6. A series of twenty logos for non-profit corporations, using Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.
7. A series of eight collages in the style of the artist Romare Bearden, focusing on the joy of people's everyday lives (after work, at dinner, etc.)
8. Eight close-up drawings of vegetables, in fine detail, done photorealistically, drawn in color pencil. I will focus on positive and negative relationships and great composition, as well as accurate value, form and texture.
9. Eight movie posters for made-up movies. Each poster will have stylistic similarities with the others in the series, but each will also be unique, distinctive. I will make one for a romantic comedy, a western, and action movie, a documentary, a science-fiction movie, etc. I will pay particular attention to the visual impact of the design, and really apply my understanding of design principles (contrast, positive and negative space, visual movement, etc.).
10. A series of eight graphic designs centered around the number 13, as a carrier of many ideas. The number thirteen was far more than a date on a calendar. Thirteen can be a part of a number base, has historic roots in architecture, time, and United States history, and is the basis of some pretty impressive words.
11. A series of eight three-dimensional works, each representing one of the Seven Deadly Sins and how it manifests itself in modern times.
12. A series of eight artistic campaign posters for each of the people currently running for US President.
13. A series of eight radial designs, in the style of either Art Nouveau or Art Deco, but using motifs related to modern (21st Century) technology.
14. Eight 2-page spreads of a comic book about ________, refined, inked and in full color (i.e. suitable for publishing).
15. A series of sixteen model sheets for characters, all refined, inked, in full color, and with detailed informational text (suitable for professional presentation). Each model sheet will show multiple views of the character and show a range of facial expressions and different body language.
16. A series of eight dresses that address the theme of the seven deadly sins.