The Concentration section shows the student's in-depth exploration of a particular design concern. For the Portfolio course, it is presented as 8 finished pieces (or more). The emphasis is on a coherent development of an idea through a body of work, in addition to the artistic success of the work.
View the AP site for samples of student Concentrations. Note the scores they received, and the rationales the evaluators used for the scoring. Also read some of the concentration essays. I've included some in the linked document to get you thinking about your own concentration.
In preparation, you will need to turn in a short essay (2 paragraphs) describing your concentration idea and how you plan on exploring that idea, and one completed concentration project. From now until the end of May, you will be completing ONE or (usually) TWO concentration projects per week (in and out of class).
2. Click on Studio Art: Drawing or Studio Art: 2D Design
3. Scroll Down to Sample Portfolios and look for Sustained Investigation.
4. View the work for each Sustained Investigation Portfolio.
5. Read the students' statements describing their Concentrations.
6. Write a proposal for your concentration that answers the following questions:
- What is the central idea of your concentration
- How do you plan to explore that idea?
From late March until May 1, you will be focused on developing your Concentration. In addition to the artwork, you will also be turning in an essay about your work (The essay will be due May 3.).
In addition to the eight artworks, you need to write a concise written commentary describing your concentration. Be clear in your wording, thoughtful, and not at all redundant. i.e. only say things worth saying, and say them well. This may be a revision of your earlier proposal.
- Clearly and simply state the central idea of your sustained investigation. (500 characters maximum)
- Explain how your work demonstrates you intent and the sustained investigation of your idea. You may refer to specific images as examples. (1350 characters maximum)
Upon completion of the Concentration series, you will put together the annual Portfolio Exhibition. You will design artistic invitations and send them out to friends and family. You will select the work to be displayed, you will each have your own display space, post your artist statements, bring food, and host the event. You will be on hand to speak about your work and answer any questions from friends, family, and community members.