TUESDAY, November 21, 2017
A contour drawing of three lemons and an open paper bag. Concentrate on capturing the three-dimensional structure of the objects using just line.
The objects should be positioned so that some will just slightly overlap each other in your drawing, but so that they will be clearly in your view.
Improve accuracy in capturing contour and proportion of an observed object.
Emphasize the structure of a simple organic form using line.
- Graphite (Use 2B, 4B and 6B)
- Pink eraser
- Pencil sharpener
- Drawing paper - sketchbook size (11 x 14", 60 lb. paper) or larger
- Use the entire picture plane.
- Make this a "portfolio-worthy" drawing.
- Realism of contour and proportion
- Realism of structure
- (Design of the page)
Start with a light line, using the 2B pencil, to capture accurate contour (line) and proportion exactly as you observe them.
Self Critique Questions
As you draw, ask yourself if you are doing the following (You should be!):
- Fill the page.
- Consider the entire page as a composition. Add value to the negative space as necessary.
- Consider the observed relationship between the positive shapes and the negative shapes, especially the spaces between the halves.
- Start with a light line, using the 2B pencil, to capture accurate contour (line) and proportion exactly as you observe them.
- Vary the quality of your lines (light/dark, thin/broad, soft/hard)
AND When you believe you are close to completing this, ask yourself:
In its present state, is this something you can put in your portfolio for college applications?